Sunday, January 17, 2010

Bienvenudos a Madrid?

I just want to say, I really love airplane food. Its all compact and efficient and disposable and fabulous. I think about this as I am sitting in the Madrid airport for another 6 or so hours, waiting for my connection to Dakar. The man at the Starbucks thinks I am a huge idiot because I cannot say fruit (or really anything) in Spanish, nor could I understand anything he said to me. He was very kind anyway: we had a laugh, it was lovely.

This makes people watching all the more exciting though, because I do not know what anyone is saying, for the most part. Its sort of like watching the soap operas on the spanish channels at home and inventing dialogue. For example, the lovely group of four young people sitting in front of me at Starbucks are quite likely discussing how best to build a time machine, or possible what they will do in Mexico.

I still have 3 hours until my flight to Dakar boards, so I am sitting in a funny little internet cafe, using up my 20 euros and charging my computer. Its right next to the elevator, so I have a great view of people running out, convinced they won't make their flight.

Airports are funny places. I wonder what it is like to work in an airport terminal store. All of the cashiers, assistants, people in important uniforms speak at least spanish and english. I can't wait to be among the functionally bilingual!

Adios Madrid until I say Bonjour and Salaamaleikum to Dakar!

4 comments:

  1. Ok, so I have a handful of things to comment on in this post. Haha. (or "jaja" in Spanish)

    1. I'm sure the man at Starbucks appreciates you trying. :D

    2. TELENOVELAS! So fabulous.

    3. Working at an airport terminal store sounds pretty cool...think of all the people watching you could do! I would let my imagination run away with me and come up with crazy stories of all the travelers. If I worked at an airport terminal store, I would probably use my people watching days to write a novel or something...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I forgot something:

    Airplane food? Really? I never thought I would ever know someone who likes airplane food. I guess that makes traveling easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WAHAHAHA. people-watching is the BEST! man, i wish i were sitting there making up stories with you.

    and i can just imagine you trying to talk to the Starbucks man. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola keko,

    Me acuerdas? ;) Yo estoy aqui en el colegio de Manhattanville. Quiero que decir hola a ti :) como estas?

    ReplyDelete