Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Waaw, Ce Degg Degg

The titles of my two most recent posts are in Wolof, which I have decided is a super cool language. Its straightforward, and there are so many amazing little phrases and proverbs in it. For instance, "ce degg degg" has about the same uses as "vraiment" en francais. For you non-francophone readers, it basically means "reallyy(?)" in all sorts of inflections. So if someone says something outrageous, you can say "ce degg degg?" with a really incredulous look on your face, and they should reply "Waaw (yes), ce degg degg." Awesome. When you next see me, ask me how to pronounce these things, as I find phonetic spellings challenging.

To continue where I left off, after excellent lunch, we have more class. Today for lunch, Kat and I went home with our friend Alex, because he lives nearby (in Mermoz, the same neighborhood as the school). His mom made some excellent rice and meat dish, which the three of us ate around the bowl. I'm now totally into eating around the bowl. It seems a much more natural and logical way to eat. Less plates, less waste, more community. Just one instance where the contrasts between American and Senegalese society has made me reexamine American norms. Another example: toilet paper versus teapot (right now, I'm still erring on the toilet paper side of things).

I generally finish classes at either 4:30 or 6:30, which is way late, at least I think so. Of course, we don't have dinner here until around 9ish. This has been an adjustment for me. When you transit cultures, the essentials reveal themselves so clearly. At home, I don't often consider the normal characteristics of my most necessary habits, like meal times, recipes, toilet seats, toilet paper, hot showers...

Also garbage. There is no institutionalized disposal system here. From what I've seen, garbage is dumped along the streets (but not along all streets, some walls have spraypainted orders against peeing or dumping garbage along thing, with a fine of 6000CFA, about 12 dollars), and groups of women sweep the streets every morning. There are larger areas of more concentrated garbage that you often see people/families/children sifting through. A lot of my family's garbage is fed to our solitary goat tied up out back. I'm trying really hard not to make friends with him, because I'm pretty sure we'll eat him eventually. He bleats at the most inconvenient times, so right now I'm not too attached. On that note, also not too attached to the roosters that seem to think dawn occurs at all hours of the night. What is with that? (though I think I'm becoming rather attached to both these animal noises, and will miss them when they are gone to the chopping block, as it were).

2 comments: